Monday, May 09, 2005

Clitic-climbing with "haber que"

The expression "haber que" is, as far I can tell, identical in meaning to "tener que". Both verbs express an obligation and both select an infinitival (they are similar to "have to") . However, "haber que" does not allow clitic climbing:

(1)
a. Tenemos que comprarlo
b. Lo tenemos que comprar

(2)
a. Hay que comprarlo
b. *Lo hay que comprar

It is worth noting, however, that a quick Google search returns some sentences with clitic climbing with "haber que":

(3)
a. Trigo: lo hay que “descubrir” antes de sembrar
b. Todo lo había que intercambiar
c. Además lo había que cargar desde un diskete de arranque
d. Este mes iban bien pero lo había que superar con creces
e. Y al día siguiente se recoge y lo hay que llevar con uno mismo, en un bolsillo, durante un ciclo lunar.

For me the sentences in (3) are bad, very bad, actually. Does everybody share my judgements?

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Miguel, very charmed to find more of your work on this blog.

I thought all examples in 3) were alright, until you suggested they were wrong. On a closer look, and pronouncing them out loud, I could see the quirkiness of their formulation. I don't think I would personally use any of these forms, yet if I were reading them as part of a text, I would understand the meaning, and very possibly never notice their unusual form.

3.b sounds like part of a poem, like a forced way of maybe attempting to rhyme.

However, I have to admit that 3.a sounds acceptable to me. Could it be that I've gotten used to unsual forms because of slogans and other kinds of Advertising methods?

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Miguel Rodríguez Mondoñedo said...

Hi Alicia

I don't think slogans and the like are the reason. It is possible that there is a dialectal (micro)difference. This is not uncommon.
However, you said that you don't accept all the sentences in the same degree. This could mean that there is a sort of change going on---and that you are just more advanced than me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home